Most people have at least one dental filling in their lifetime. A filling is a treatment to fix a tooth damaged by decay and restore it back to its original shape, appearance, and function. There are various materials that are used to fill a cavity. Some of the most popular and effective ones are composite dental fillings.
A composite filling is a dental-grade material used to fill cavities and fix decay, thereby restoring the shape and strength of decayed or damaged teeth. They are widely popular for fixing cavities because they have a natural appearance and are unnoticeable.
The composite resin material typically includes multiple components, like fine glass and plastic, and offers an ideal, natural-looking alternative for conventional amalgam fillings.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Composite dental fillings offer the following benefits:
- Composite fillings are highly durable; they can last up to seven to ten years if they are well taken care of.
- They look natural on the teeth
- The procedure is performed in just one dental visit
- The composite material is fracture-resistant
- Composite fillings can fix both minor dental defects and larger damages
Who Needs Tooth Fillings?
You may need composite tooth fillings for the following reasons:
- Severe tooth decay and cavities
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked teeth
At Park Creek Dental Care, the procedure of fixing a cavity with composite fillings is as follows:
- The procedure begins with the dentist selecting the composite material that matches the shade of the patient's teeth.
- The dentist numbs the affected area and removes any of the decayed portions of the tooth.
- Once the decayed and infected part is removed, the area is cleaned, dried, and prepared for the fillings.
- Then, the composite material is layered into the cavity.
- The material is set, contoured, smoothed, and polished using a laser for the best comfort and fit.
- As the last step, the dentist ensures the proper function of the bite.
How to Take Care of Composite Dental Fillings
- Brush your teeth twice a day, floss, and use a mouth rinse.
- Visit our dentist at least twice a year for dental checkups.
- Consider getting preventative treatments.
To learn more about our dental services or schedule a consultation, call Dentist in Woodstock, GA at (470) 601-7888 or visit Park Creek Dental Care at 8080 Hickory Flat Hwy, Woodstock, GA 30188.